Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Google+...Plus?

I read a very interesting article in the NY Times today. Apparently, Google has merged its search engine features with its social media site, so when using this feature called Search Plus Your World, not only do you get listings typical of any other search engine, you get information from your Google+. The point of this new service would be to "...provide relevant information." according to a Google Fellow, relevant meaning anything and everything relating to you personally. Google also wants to integrate other social media into this new feature, so ideally, any social media you use, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, etc. would show up in your search engine. Facebook has declined the invitation as of now, and Twitter released a negative opinion of the idea which is cited in the article.

I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, it could be nice to be able to search for absolutely anything all in one place, I am constantly going through my Facebook looking for old posts or pictures and this might be the solution to that problem. On the other hand though, how much personal information would I be subjecting to outside control? Do I actually have as much privacy as I think I do? To stoke my curiosity, I just had to try this out and actually didn't find this new search any different than the old Google. Maybe thats because I am a beginner on Google+, but as of right now, I am not seeing the change in this new program. Time will tell.

Check out the article and join the conversation.  Google Adds Posts From Its Social Network to Search Results

1 comment:

  1. I haven't noticed any differences in my google searches either

    ReplyDelete