Saturday, April 14, 2012

Event Report

Though technology seemed to be dead set against us, I am very pleased with how the event turned out. Hwanhi and I put a lot of work into this event, and I am so glad that everyone in the class really engaged and made it the success that it was.

My personal efforts to organize the event, and acquire and audience were moderately successful and quite varied.

  • I made announcements to over four hundred students in classrooms
  • I ensured that the poster went up all over campus from the information desk
  • I personally invited my friends and family and my 10 "special" guests who were:
    • Harly Richards- International Development student, acquaintance, interested in the idea of the CC and how that works in respect to our current economic system. She was able to attend for most of the event, and was impressed with how broad our expanse of information was in a single night
    • Lindsay White- Accounting Student, Friend, Was able to attend, loved the arts presentation. 
    • Cassie Reed- Accounting Student, Acquaintance, I invited her because she had expressed interest in my talking about the class before, and always asked questions about how and why we need to be more involved digitally, was able to attend in person. 
    • A.J. Butler- Water Polo Coach, interested both in me and my welfare, but also in how he can improve the standing and success of his team through social media, attended on-line. 
    • Austin Wheeler- Cadet at West Point, interested in how traditional education is and should be changing, wasn't able to attend at all. 
    • Suzanne Whitehead- Works for Hope International raising money to fund a school in the DR Congo, wants to be able to increase technology in their education eventually attended on-line.
    • Heather Desmond- Elementary School Teacher, interested in changing education. Wasn't able to attend.
    • Dr. Monson, my Political Science Teacher- I extended him a personal invitation, and then extended one to the whole class at his urging. Interested in how Social media is opening government. Attended on-line. 
    • Kristin Rob- Old friend from Germany, she and I played on the same team when she was a foreign exchange student to my high school. She loves anything to do with American Politics, and really enjoyed the event. Watched on-line. 
    • Eli Pariser- The author of my assigned reading, "Filter Bubbles". Never got back to me, so I doubt he watched, but it was exciting contacting him in the first place. 
  • I organized the order of the presentations
  • I put together the presentations which was a disaster. Right here I have a huge suggestion for the next event: Formatting. The reason the transitions were so bad was because all of the groups had different formats and different links. All of them should have been using one thing, so all Prezi or all google ppt. This would dramatically help the event, and would have made it more fluid. 
  • Collaborated with Hwahi on the script, the event philosophy, the purpose of the event, structure of the event (TED style blitz's)
  • Acted as one of the MC's
  • Organized music that we didn't actually get to use.
  • Worked with individual groups on their presentations, formulating ideas and editorializing some. 
  • Picked up the food with Dr. Zappala  
I learned an amazing amount of information from the planning process. It was great being able to work with Hwanhi, my superior in every way, who has had so much more experience planning event and organizing functions. I thought I was experienced, but now know that I have so much more to learn. It was a great experience and I am very grateful that I was on the event planning production team because I know that I will be much more prepared to do anything like this in the future. I enjoyed being part of the show and got a lot of joy trying to think about all of the ways we could ensure people had a great time and got what they came for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment