Sunday, February 12, 2012

Fun Theory Me!

I did it, I jumped on the bandwagon, and I am pleasantly surprised at what I found. For a while, I wasn't really behind the whole Fun Theory thing. It sounded to me like a very commercial venture by Volkswagen, but then I really looked into it. Its amazing! I love that this movement has captured so many people's imaginations and that it really is making changes, one small thing at a time.

I think I was so resistant at first because I held the mindset that we shouldn't need to be entertained to do something good, we should just do it. "Should" being the downfall of that statement. I have faith in the human condition, I believe that we are good intrinsically, but the fun theory brought to my mind the thought that inaction isn't necessarily bad, just lazy. People leave their trash out of thoughtlessness, not spite; they take the escalator because it's just easier, not because they want to disregard their bodies.

I love that there are people out there working to make a difference through human action as opposed to human sensibilities. I think that there are a lot of people trying to make a difference by education and reform, but what it comes down to is action. If we can't help people make better actions, then what's the point? Fun is one great way that we can help each other do the right thing, whether that be recycling, taking the stairs or using a trash can.

I would love to see what we could do with the fun theory in our class. Making it a part of our final project is something that I think could be extremely rewarding and very impactfull in the long run. Yes making a book could be cool, but inciting a change right here on our campus could make a big difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment